The Empire, Bath

Conversion of Grade II hotel to luxury flats

The Empire was built in 1901 and was used originally as offices for the Admiralty. More recently it was converted to a hotel. The building is grade II listed, with an area of 7000m2. Our client acquired the property for conversion to 45 luxury retirement flats. This involved forming some major openings in loadbearing walls, checking all timber floors for the new loads, a major refurbishment to the grand entrance staircase, and constructing a reinforced concrete 3 storey car park at the rear.

The building forms a major landmark near the centre of Bath, immediately adjacent to the riverside walkway and the historic Pulteney Bridge, and all works needed to be carried out sympathetically, and to the satisfaction of Bath City Council and English Heritage.